Friday, May 1, 2009

Bus

Quiet women and timid men, hugging
the relative comfort of chairs, eyes averted from shared smells,
their faces at odds; noses and mouths in a curled disapproval,
looking elsewhere.

A man has been knifed. Sliced behind the ear by a boy
who didn't think about the catch-up-crush on the stairs.
One of them is caught, bear hugged down by a drip-red,
blue collared, cut-up man.

Sat him on his lap like a squirming babe.
I didn't see the slice. Usually ride up front
peering through the reflection at the icy road:
I count scarves, hats, gloves, and hoods.

I turned to see the action, and he cut
the condensation with something:
'Why don't any of you do anything?
Are you going to sit and give this world to them?'

Slowly, there became a less reluctant us;
'I called the police,' she said; he said, 'Stop the bus.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nicky! You know I love your stuff! Stop by my blog to pick up your Kreativ Blogger award! Please do not feel obligated to post the award or pass it on if you do not wish to do so. This is just my way of letting you know that I think highly of your work and want to share it with others. :)

Love,
Susan Sonnen

Nicky said...

susan! how do i link your blog? thanks for visiting - i've wanted to get everything blogged, and im a slowcoach...now, how to do more links? *tries again* :)